Wednesday, January 23, 2008

First Video IChat


Had my first Video IChat today. Pretty amazing. I think I may never leave my office now...but then I could only Pastor people that have Macs...that might not be such a bad idea. :) Funny thing was, I chatted with my friend Pablo as he was sitting right next to me...then we got his brother-in-law Ernie in on the action. It took some coercing because he was in class at U of H. But yes, in the middle of lecture, there was Ernie on IChat Video. We proceeded to try as hard as we could to get him to laugh out loud. It was classic.

The whole time, I couldn't stop thinking about the days I spent working at Office Depot in High School and my first year of college. I remember there was this revolutionary new phone that allowed you to see each other via camera. The video quality was beautifully choppy and fuzzy; the machine was as big as an Apple IIE. We kept it in a big plastic case up front to keep people from damaging the state of the art piece. It was priced well over a $1000, you had to sign up for a specific phone plan, and the other person had to have the same machine. Keep in mind, it was just a telephone with a screen and camera. No computer. Definitely not portable. I wonder what those people that bought it for over $1000 think now?

2 comments:

  1. CAN YOU GET ME A JOB AT CROSSBRIDGE SO I CAN ICHAT! BETTER YET, CAN YOU GET ME A JOB.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would imagine that whoever bought that state of the art video phone had a bit more money than me. It made them feel special for a few minutes and then they bought themselves a new toy for a few more minutes for happiness.

    ReplyDelete